Monday 15 August 2011

Something completely different

This post is a departure from my usual reports on the pursuit of small joys and tiny pleasures. I haven't been cooking or crafting or buzzing around the beautiful countryside where I live for over 2 weeks now.
The main reason for this is that out of the blue I have been diagnosed with cancer of the colon. To go from feeling amazingly fit and healthy to being in hospital in a matter of a couple of days has taken some 'coping with' both for me and for those nearest and dearest. It was however one of those just in the nick of time discoveries and I was truly blessed and fortunate to have been among some exceptionally compassionate and skilled professionals and to have the amazing support of wonderful friends. 
I am home again, patched up and told to build up my weight in order to prepare for surgery in a few weeks' time. In case you have ever wondered, a low fibre, high calorie diet sheet looks like something a ten year old with no concept of basic nutrition would dream up. Most of the things my GP has urged me to reduce to infrequent treats in order to keep my cholesterol within bounds, are back on the list and many fruit and veg are either off or in small amounts. Such a shame when the garden and the local markets are coming into the most productive time of year.
Day by day I feel I am regaining strength and energy and mastering the new regime. I will take each step as it comes and I have gained some sense of proportion about the whole thing. In short I will be back buzzing about indulging in the kinds of things I love to do and recording them here. No doubt there will be further gaps in posting from time.But this disease doesn't define me.

6 comments:

  1. A brave post :D And what rotten luck! You're right not to let your illness define you ... I have RA and I have watched other sufferers do just that and then wonder why I keep so much more chipper than they do. Good luck, and best wishes for a speedy recovery x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Annie, for your wishes. I know that there will be times when my treatment and recovery will take all my energy and focus to get through but in between all that I want to get on with what for me life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bravery and attitude is so inspiring. I am so relieved that you have caught it and can overcome this and get on it. We are thinking of you and sending loads of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I have just read your post which is amazing, by the way.

    I wish you a resounding recovery and much serenity over the next few weeks. Please let us know how you are.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both. I know staying positive is 'good medicine' and it helps so much to have this kind of encouragement to keep it going.
    In return can I encourage everyone to make the most of any well-being checks and screenings that you are offered. Right now, I can't think of any of those kind of tests that match my idea of delightful experience but please grab your inner adult by the shoulders and, for the love of those who love you, just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just coming to the end of eight cycles of chemotherapy. An MRI scan had showed that this would be the best therapy to begin with. The first three cycles were hard work but with some tweaks the latter ones have been quite tolerable and on the whole the chemo has been very effective. The operation is now back on the agenda and I go tomorrow to see the surgeon and find out more about it. Thanks again for all your good wishes.

    ReplyDelete